Martin Sikes (1968-2007)
Martin Sikes was a Canadian engineer, software and hardware developer, DJ, dance party organizer, and enthusiast about travel, the outdoors, and trains.
He grew up in North and West Vancouver, British Columbia, attended West Vancouver Secondary School, and studied at the University of British Columbia, where he earned a degree in Electrical Engineering. He spent much of his career in the video game industry, working for Radical Entertainment, co-founding Black Box Games, and later selling it to Electronic Arts. Martin was also a key organizer of the Soundproof collective of DJs, promoters, and artists, who hosted numerous parties over a ten-year period.
He died suddenly in his sleep on December 24, 2007, age 39. His daughter, parents, sister, and many relatives, friends, and colleagues celebrated his life two weeks later, on January 6, 2008. I knew Martin for almost 25 years, and he was my friend. Many of his friends like me wondered, despite his success in business and life, whether he would ever grow up and settle down as lots of us have.
Now we know he never will. He lived only half a life, and accomplished amazing things in that time. Imagine what he could have done had he lived the rest. I miss him. We all do.
—Derek K. Miller
Blogs, articles, and comments about Martin
- Martin Sikes - 1968-2007 and followup by Derek K. Miller, 26 and 27 Dec 2007
- Martin Sikes, from To the Front, 27 Dec 2007
- Martin Sikes from Mondolithic Studios, 28 Dec 2007
- sonic:torsion 010 song mix by Caley Martin on MCast, 28 Dec 2007
- Events and passages by Harmony, 1 Jan 2008
- Martin Sikes: obituary at legacy.com, 2 Jan 2008
- Rest in peace Martin Sikes from Rave Victoria, 2 Jan 2008
- Co-founder of Black Box Games Martin Sikes passes away from Kotaku, 4 Jan 2008
- Black Box founder remembered in Vancouver and Martin Sikes biography from IGN, 4 Jan 2008
- Martin Sikes has passed away at Digg, 5 Jan 2008
- Martin Sikes memorial and obituary inforation by Derek K. Miller, 5 Jan 2008
- Mitbegründer Sikes gestorben (in German) from Gamezone.de, 5 Jan 2008
- I hardly knew you by Bill Dobie, 6 Jan 2008
- Rest in peace: Martin Sikes by David Orchard, 7 Jan 2008
- Less who we were by Derek K. Miller, 7 Jan 2008
- Martin Sikes 1968-2007, from Proton Charging, 7 Jan 2008
- A few maudlin thoughts for the new year by Larry Taylor on Facebook, 8 Jan 2008
- Fallece Martin Sikes, co-fundador de Black Box (in Spanish) from Mega Consolas, 8 Jan 2008
- In memoriam—Martin Sikes, from Electric Playground, 12 Jan 2008
- I didn't know Martin Sikes past 1985 (includes some audio) by Aaron Vidaver, 16 Jan 2008
- Martin Sikes from ourlog.ca, 18 Jan 2008
Photos of Martin's memorial event
These photos are from Flickr. Some of them (plus a few extras) are also available in an album on Facebook. You can find more like them by looking for Martin's tags on Facebook and Flickr.