UPDATE: You can convert DVDs to play on your new iPod if you get one (although at much lower quality).
Okay, I was totally wrong about Apple's announcements (who woulda thunk it?), but there are some interesting things about the things they did release today:
- "Good news for podcasters is the ability [of the new iPod] to record in either 22KHz mono or 44KHz stereo."
- The new iPods are USB only—no FireWire. Not a good sign for FireWire, which is a better technology in very many ways.
- The new iMacs do not have internal modems anymore—death to dialup, baby!
- The eMac is now in Apple's education section only, a sign that the last CRT Mac is probably on its way out.
- The Apple Remote works both with the new iMac and the Universal iPod Dock—so you can hook up your new iPod (or iMac) to your TV or stereo and control it from afar to watch videos, videocasts, and TV episodes, or listen to music or podcasts. Living room, here we come.
- The iMac also includes the Mighty Mouse. Soon enough, it will be the end of the quarter-century one-button-only Apple mouse era.