Autistic Cuckoo in Sweden has published a good (and continuing) series of articles about standards-based web design. The site takes a pretty hard line, but the articles are all informative and thought-provoking:
- Can invalid web code ever be called standards-compliant?
- XHTML vs. HTML: why pretend?
- Negotiating document types
- The web standards battle is far from over
- One approach to web design
- Relative and absolute positioning with CSS
- Floating elements with CSS
- Structural elements: the forgotten ones