While I'm on my blog break, here are some selected, edited, and concatenated versions of my Twitter posts from the past week, newest first:
- A DJ is a fake DJ if he plays music that he composed and recorded himself.
- For photo nerds, a fun shootout from Poland of Nikon's 1960-era 58mm f/1.4 lens vs. a new (2008) autofocus 50mm f/1.4.
- The sunset is beautiful and calming. Wish I could say the same for the state of my digestive system.
- My kids are suddenly obsessed with Devo's "Whip It" and Lipps Inc.'s "Funkytown." Sounds like 1980 around here. They are also keen on "You Spin Me Right Round (Like a Record)" and "We're Not Gonna Take It."
- Best tilt-shift time-lapse movie yet (check it out in HD).
- When Robert X. Cringely isn't trying to predict, he can be very wise. Here he is on SMS and Twitter.
- I'm uneasy about the proposed new Canadian Internet surveillance law.
- In case Iran distracted you, note that Obama is taking lots of heat from the U.S. gay community this week.
- Listening to "One Thing Leads to Another" by The Fixx (1983). That's one killer guitar tone, I tell ya. [...] Have moved on to "I'm a Man" by the Spencer Davis Group. Hard to believe Steve Winwood was only 18. Sounds like an old soul shouter.
- Sometimes when listening to a good podcast, I’ll pick a longer line at the grocery store so I can listen to more of it.
- I believe the commercial jingle for MTI Community College (on their site) may be the worst such tune ever made.
- Photos by Andy Ihnatko using the improved camera on the new iPhone 3GS. Tap-to-focus also invokes spot metering, which makes a HUGE difference.
- Since I took a break from blogging a few days ago, I'm tweeting and commenting on other blogs quite a bit more. Can't not write, I guess.
- Roger Ebert writes that right-wing TV blowhard Bill O'Reilly tells viewers, "You're right, but you're not right ENOUGH! I'm angrier about this than you are!" And that is corrosive.
- How the human brain perceives images.
- As 11:30 news ends, they say, "See you on the morning news at 4:30." Uh, sure.
- Is there anything that will more instantly provoke itchy eyes than a Visine ad?
- For recording a podcast with two people, the Blue Snowball USB microphone is okay, but there are better USB mic options now. If you want to use a single mic for 2 people, the Snowball is actually better in its omni mode than in unidirectional. Alas, to change its hardware gain setting you need to change firmware (available from Blue site), which is annoying. Look also at Samson's C03U, and don't ignore the possibility of using a small USB audio interface and traditional mics too. For two people you'll do best with two mics. Modern lavalier (clip-ons) like the Audio-Technica PRO 70 do very well there.
- DCResource on the tiny new Olympus DP-1 Micro Four Thirds camera.
- Is this real or a spoof?
- "Dancing Queen," "Brown Eyed Girl," "I Saw Her Standing There"—some songs work regardless of the audience.
- Any entrepreneur worth his or her salt talks about their actual business, not "entrepreneurism."
- Not chuffed; rather, chafed.
That'll do in the meantime, won't it? Oh, and happy Father's Day to my dad, other dads out there, and me!
Labels: geekery, linksofinterest, music, news, photography, recording, twitter